A brand tells your company’s story and what better way to emphasize brand identity than through its packaging?
First impressions are very important, and your packaging is often a consumer’s first introduction to a product. As such, product packaging is a factor that manufacturers should not overlook. Hence why, your packaging needs to visually showcase a powerful statement on your quality, brand, and story.
You may be surprised to learn that 4 out of 10 consumers try a product only because it caught their eye at the store. 7 out of 10 consumers say packaging design influences their purchase decision as it is their first interaction with the product itself.
Today, the average shopper has a limited window of time when it comes to making their retail purchase decisions.
It takes just 7 seconds to make a memorable first impression. That's why effective packaging design helps your product stand out on retail shelves, increase sales, and attract customers.
Here Are Five Reasons Why Packaging Design Is Important
BRAND POSITIONING AND CUSTOMER LOYALTY
Packaging helps to communicate the brand value and creates a distinctive identity for your brand. This will further enhance brand loyalty if your brand can occupy a distinctive spot in consumers' minds which will keep them coming to your product. For example:
- Color: Green is linked to health and growth, while red evokes passion and excitement from consumers.
- Bold messaging: Catchy phrases and taglines are attractive to millennial audiences.
- Visual Friendly: Make your packaging fun with creative colors and storytelling illustrations
- Consistency: Using a similar product design to signify your product’s branding will help to achieve consistency. It creates continuity and promotes a strong brand front.
- Ultimately, your product's packaging design must stand out to the target market you have identified.
CAPTIVATING PACKAGING DESIGN WILL WIN YOU SHELF SPACE
It’s not just about catching a customer’s eye. Attractive product packaging design will go a long way in securing retailer buy-in. Many successful challenger brands of the 21st century have embraced this as imperative.
Grocery chains no longer settle for shelf mediocrity in this era, so your product packaging design needs to be outstanding to pull in potential customers and differentiate your product from the rest of the brands in the market. Poor packaging design could cost you your business before you even get the chance to win it. This is where Sonoco steps in to help brand owners like yourself gain the upper hand with creative and effective packaging designs that will promote your brand identity.
INCREASE YOUR PRODUCTS PERCEIVED VALUE
The visual presence of the packaging is an effective indicator in determining a product’s perceived value. How would the average consumer identify whether your product is of premium quality?
- Product packaging with distinctive designs, premium quality production value, and attention to detail will reflect upon its quality and attract potential customers to re-purchase in the future.
- Meanwhile, products that look undervalued and have budget packaging are perceived to have low value, consequently, customers might not give it a second glance.
PACKAGING SERVES AS A MARKETING TOOL
When promoting your products, attractive packaging is not the only main aspect. It is also important that it aligns with your marketing campaigns and serves as an extension of your promotional campaigns.
For example, you can create community hype by producing limited edition products that only last for a specific time. Doing so will not only form product exclusivity for the item but also builds a sense of urgency in customers, nudging them to make their purchase decisions quick.
Great packaging design is a powerful marketing tool for your brand. It tells consumers exactly why your product and brand are different and creates buying desires towards curious onlookers.
PACKAGING SERVES FUNCTIONALIY
Your packaging also serves as a functional tool for your product:
- Sizes: Packaging is customized to different sizes to match your consumers' needs. It can be packaged as a standard "single on-the-go" portion or even a party deluxe to fit the occasion
- Security: Keep your food products safe during shipment between the manufacturing facility and retailer, along with preventing damage while the products sit on the shelf. Hence, product packaging must be sturdy and reliable. Paper cans made of recycled fiber content are implosion and crush resistant.
- Convenient Storage: Stackable packaging also helps to keep storage neat so that your product stays safe, fresh, and sellable. Good packaging is made to be storage-friendly from packing, shipping, and storage to end users. It reduces messy bulk, which takes up too much space and causes hassle for grocers.
- Preserve Freshness: Paper containers are easy to open and reclose especially those equipped with resealable lids. Consumers no longer need to worry about repackaging their snacks and leftovers as they could enjoy the product at optimum freshness before and after
Creative Food Packaging Design
Healthy Food Packaging Design
Grocery Food Packaging Design
Snack Food Packaging Design
Retail Food Packaging Design
How To Design Effective Food Packaging That Sells
Well-designed product packaging can go a long way in putting your product in the hands of buyers and setting your product apart from the rest of the competition. Innovative designs will help catch your consumer’s eyes and put your product a cut above the rest.
- User Experience: Delivering a memorable, engaging experience through your packaging about the brand keeps your brand fresh in their minds. For instance, Sonoco’s lidding and closure options provide the ideal experience in ensuring consumers enjoy the freshness
- Clean Labelling: High-quality labels that offer clear, concise information about the brand, product, health benefits, and packaging sustainability plays a big role in consumer psychology. Sonoco’s vibrant and eye-catching label presses are made to impress. It creates the "wow" from the shelves to the satisfying finish process.
- Safety First: Design is important, but ultimately your packaging must transport your contents to the end users safely and securely. Sonoco's protective liners will help keep unwanted intrusion of moisture and oxygen, while our paper cans built from recycled fiber content provide structural rigidity. This protects against unwanted packaging damages.
Still Looking For a Trusted Food Packaging Designer In Malaysia To Meet Your Packaging Needs
SONOCO Asia is one of Malaysia's leading paper-based food packaging designers and manufacturers. Our mission is to provide brand owners with integrated and diversified solutions for their food packaging needs. The packaging design services offered include innovative solutions customized to meet our customers' ever-changing needs.
Contact us today to discuss how we can help you plan your next packaging campaign. We will curate tailored, innovative packaging solutions to drive your business and brand to be a cut above the rest in the market.